DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used Ina Gardner’s recipe, without the currents (cause I don’t like currents or raisins)
I put in 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts…We love walnuts in Iris soda bread.
This bread is delicious…I also put one extra Tablespoon of sugar in it.
We like it toasted with a smear of sweet butter.
This is the best Soda bread recipe that I ever made.

Here‘s the recipe… I made it in my food processor ( you can also use a mixer) at the end. I put in the nuts at the end and just pulsed it enough to mix the nuts.

Here‘s the recipe

Food Tableware Plate Ingredient Recipe
Food Bun Recipe Staple food Sourdough

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
That right there looks good enough to eat. :LOL: Is the dark color of the inside of the bread true or an artifact of light? I see a brown like light brown sugar color on my monitor.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s the walnuts that make it darker. You should try this bread, lightly toasted with butter it rocks.
I have it in my cake taker on the counter, the head guy cuts himself a piece whenever it fancies him.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, next time you plan on putting the ‘big oven’ on whip one up. You’ll be hooked on Irish Soda Bread. Be sure and use the buttermilk.
I now have to make fried chicken and banana bread to use up the rest of the buttermilk…such pressure! :giggle:
How was the cornish hens?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I've made soda bread from Bernard Clayton's bread cookbook but not with walnuts or any dried fruit, don't recall about buttermilk. Normally I use buttermilk powder because we don't use any buttermilk often, just seems less waste and works well. Had Big S brand corndogs last night with yellow mustard and duck sauce. Those two things mixed together aren't half bad. Got mixed on my plate, fortunate occurance ;). Probably the same tonight as leftovers. Haven't done the little chickens yet. Need to do smoked sausage on Bolillos with sausage and sweet pickle relish a la Packo's Hungarian Hotdogs, before the bread molds. A fillet of salmon, probably Gordon Ramsey's Teriyaki Salmon and a tapenade of almonds or something. Egg rolls (frozen) with something. Then maybe the little chickens. A chef I worked with called them that and I've never quit doing it. Actually I say worse things about them. I had to season several hundred split birds for a party, hope I never see them like that again. Same thing for Chicken Cordon Bleu. Pound season and assemble several hundred. Those things are some of the reason I quit cooking for a living. Oh yeah cut ingredients and assemble several hundred fruit and cheese skewers for a party was another.

Now I go for street food along with the less easy stuff. And I got some "street food" in mind that just might blow your socks off and no I ain't sayin' what. I'll post with pics.

Today I'll start slicin' and dicin' an 11 lb. picnic ham shank for pot pies, soups, beans, whatever. Vacuum seal and freeze.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve never heard of buttermilk powder? I don’t think it’s available here. I would try it if
I came across it. You‘re right about the buttermilk, I have to think of things to
make once I open the curtain to make Irish Soda Bread. Thinking of buttermilk soaked
chicken today…
I just came across this recipe for Southern corn bread. This can’t be too shabby.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Number
Font Number Document

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
That looks much like the buttermilk cornbread I make. Try substituting light or dark brown sugar for the white sugar. A noticeable taste difference. Not bad. Works in other recipes also. This is the cultured buttermilk powder I get at Walmart, Saco brand 4T powder makes 1 cup. This and several other brands are available on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
That looks really good, especially with some quality butter on it :p

Unfortunately some foods I can't eat anymore and thats one :cry:

Gluten.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Tip on powdered milk and powdered buttermilk. Add the appropriate amount of powder to the dry ingredients then add any liquid called for in the recipe and enough extra for the milk powder. Works, I'm lazy.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the buttermilk tip. I will look for it at Walmart.
Your right on the brown sugar making a difference in baked goods.
I often use 1/2 regular sugar and 1/2 brown sugar in a lot of things
that I bake. My Pizzelle cookies come amazing with 1/2 brown sugar.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had mine this morning with butter and blueberry preserves. The head knot put poached
eggs on his and also ate one of my slices, and as we speak he
cut another slice and smeared it with blackberry preserves. Did I tell you he loves
Irish Soda Bread… :giggle:

Food Tableware Table Dishware Plate

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Also if you don't keep milk on hand because you don't use it often try this. Walmart, Sam's, Amazon, others. Browse for the best price. This is good stuff, far better than other powdered milks I've tried. 4 T powder to 1C water. Yes you did tell me he loves soda bread. :LOL:

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I mentioned it to the wife. She said we tried it while in Ireland and not her thing. It must have been at the end of a pub crawl cause I don't recall the bread. The pubs yes bread no.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, apparently it wasn’t memorable. A lot of the food in Ireland and England is not memorable.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would up the sugar…not sure of the whole wheat flour, that would change the flavor considerably.
I‘m actually a fan of whole wheat bread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts