DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am buying a house that has some cracks in the basement and I plan on filling them in with drylok cement and then painting it with drylok. For some reason I am having trouble understanding how to make an inverted V with the chisel down the crack. Can someone explain, or maybe show pictures from a past project? I dont worry about the foundation since an engineer has already put steel support beams up, but I think the cracks are letting in spiders and water which is a big no no.Thanks so much.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
where'd you find that plan ? if you don't have the right chisels w/carbide tips, its tough to do,,, if you have a conc router w/diamond bits, its easy,,, if you get a 4" grinder w/tuck point blade & cut @ an angle, its fairly easy but extremely dusty - best to rent 1 w/dust shroud & vac

who said drylok was a good product OR the correct material for this job ? since engineers rarely construct, you sure about that part too ?

for now, i'd just seal the crks w/patching plaster & monitor movement prior to jumping the gun & picking the wrong materials + an incorrect method,,, then again, its your house - not mine OR any of our clients' buildings ( we do this for a living ),,, just my $0.03

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will more than likely just clean the loose concrete from the cracks. Instead of plaster would Great Stuff be a viable option? Seems like its easy to apply and would stop my spider problem as it expands to seal the crack.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
foam-in-a-can's like hair-in-a-can - just wanna-be stuff,,, likely it won't allow monitoring any crack movement IF it does occur,,, don't be in a hurry to patch when a repair is needed,,, we use chlorox & non-sudsing ammonia in our war against spiders

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.