DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salud,

Purchased my first house last week. Closing in a couple weeks. 1936 construction so there are going to be issues. I'll be most grateful for help and tips. Already scouring the forums to see what there is to be seen.

Big issues I'm going to have:

1) Foundation is poured concrete, bat and board style. That's fine, however, at the rear the foundation site directly on a rock outcropping. Some lost space for 1, but more importantly some evidence of water infiltration. I'm planning to finish the basement (mechanicals only right now, everything is accessible) but will need to solve the water issue before moving forward. I'm going to re-do all the perimeter drains and see what there is to be seen, but I have some concern that I may have to do an internal drain to simply try and control the water that gets in.

2) Retaining wall. Front yard ends in a 3-4 ft retaining wall. A municipally protected tree appears to be pushing the retaining wall over and potentially onto the sidewalk.

3) HVAC. 1960s oil fired boiler right now. I'm going to switch to either electric heat pump or potentially a central column gas fire forced air system. Original windows and likely uninsulated walls though will present a challenge to any system.

All ideas welcome. I'll post on each project individually as required.

Cheers from BC

·
Super Moderator
13,447 Posts
Welcome to the site franticvike, we're glad you found us. There's plenty of help here from all the trades, feel free to jump right in.:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts