DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am (for the first time) installing a fireplace and would like to dress it out using a stone veneer. The fireplace guy told me to cover the framing with Durock and mortar the veneer to that. When I mentioned lath and scratch coats, he indicated that wasn't necessary.

Which is why I am posting this - I'm not convinced that it wouldn't be a good use of my time to do either or both.

I am considering a dry stack look (i.e. no grout lines).

Could someone spell out the method and materials I should use to minimize potential headaches?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Consult the manufacturers installation instructions, but he is right, other than I prefer to use thinset over cement board. If you use thinset, you may have to knock off some of the high points on the backside of the fake stone.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I install Durock rough side out, that it will be rough enough to, essentially, act like a scratch coat?

You also mentioned the use of thinset rather than, say, type S mortar. Thinset I have. Do you suggest a modified or unmodified thinset?

I understand that I would butter the back of the stones, leaving a divot in the center to help suction the veneer to the wall.

I a wet saw a good way to cut this stuff?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Personally, I prefer hardibacker, but either will work. Modified thinset, buttered as stated, although most manufacturers will recommend 100% buttering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts