DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Looking to do refinish existing concrete slab (under old carpet flooring) to a finished floor. We want to try concrete floors, it is good for allergies, and it goes very well in the modern/industrial looking building the unit is in.

Looking to pour a polymer based micro-topping or resurfacer to get a smooth, nice and clean top layer to stain and finish.

My question is the following:
Do you have experience with polymer based resurfacer and micro-topping?
So far I have found quite a few brands...
Reviews on the big box stores are dismal (quickrete, sakrete) Akona (no reviews online) and thats from people using that for driveways/patio not their actual flooring.
I have also found surecrete, skrafino (duraamen), H&C duratop and Concrete Coatings specialized products for that specific use (micro-topping or overlay). They go for 2-3 times the price of polymer resurfacer and are much harder to find, likely would have to get that shipped ($$$) with no ability to return extra.
H&C is available through Sherwin-Williams but also had bad online reviews.

Ideally, I would want something that flows well and is decently easy to use or does not require a second coat.

Any one has experience in these products?
Any good experience with one brand vs another for this specific use?
Given this will be our actual floor, I want to make sure we get a decent product if it can make a difference. If it doesn't I will just go for cheap and easy (Akona or quickrete)

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
polymer based micro-topping would work well however there's no aggregate in that mix - just polymer, white cement, & water,,, https://www.duraamen.com/concrete-overlays-toppings is good stuff,,, bear in mind you'll 1st need to diamond grind existing surface to prep it for the o'lay, sand after installing (color can be integral or next step, seal the work, then several coats of wax ( we use One )

not a fan of h & c ( owned by sher-wms ) or conc coatings however, in fairness, most bad reviews originate w/diy'ers imo,,, we've used all 3 + a few more

1 - 3 of 3 Posts