DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice: I have realized in my new home, the intake for the HVAC system is routed to the fireplace. I'm haveing a new fireplace put in and want to remove the bulky duct work on the basement ceiling. Should I just remove the duct work and add a vent the pulls in air from the basement,(since the basement will be finished in 6 months? Or should I have the duct work rerouted to take in air from the the upstairs? Attached is a picture to give a visual of what it currently looks like. remodeling.jpg

·
as seen on tv
205 Posts
Not a good idea, Your system will not function correctly. Airflow will suffer. To have a good balanced system a return air path is needed for every room that is supplied with conditioned air. From your pic the return ducting will have to be larger than the supply, the way it is set up now

·
Registered
32 Posts
no returns......

Looking for advice: I have realized in my new home, the intake for the HVAC system is routed to the fireplace. I'm haveing a new fireplace put in and want to remove the bulky duct work on the basement ceiling. Should I just remove the duct work and add a vent the pulls in air from the basement,(since the basement will be finished in 6 months? Or should I have the duct work rerouted to take in air from the the upstairs? Attached is a picture to give a visual of what it currently looks like. View attachment 12268
in the basement as u will create a negative pressure in the area of the water heater & furnace and pull products of combustion into the base and distribute them through the house:eek::eek: , really a non no!!!!!!!......Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts