DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I live in southeastern pa about an hour north of philly. We bought fixer fixer upper emphasis on the fixer upper. We bought a year ago. House was built in 1928. Was built as a summer cottage and later turned into a per inane living space. There is a 50ft by 10 ft porch on one side of the house. The hole house footprint is 40 by 50 including the porch. Our basement is under the entire house and porch. My question would be how to insulate the section under the porch. The insulation that is there now is all collapse I'm sure due to moisture. Any help would be great as I do not want to have to tear out old insulation every five years.
Thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
37,379 Posts
Real full basement, or a crawlspace?
Enclosed porch?
Just a guess because we can not see it without some pictures would be to air seal any holes where wiring or plumbing was run, it it's balloon wall construction fire block the bottoms of the wall then insulate the rim joist then use 2" foam insulation.
If that basement is damp it needs to be addressed from the outside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Full basement. Part dirt floor with vapor barrier over dirt. Stone foundation some water comes in will be addressing that in the next year. Dehumidifier keeps the humidity down though. Basment extends under porch which is tongue and groove fir. You can see the boards between the floor joists. Porch is not enclosed. I'll add a couple picture in a few.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ImageUploadedByDIY Chat1420981027.298393.jpg ImageUploadedByDIY Chat1420981039.296650.jpg
The tyvek is the living space. The opening to left is porch which runs the length of the house, about 50 ft. The porch tongue and groove was installed on top of the tongue and groove floor in living space and they slope down away from house about an inch in 10 ft. The exterior wall was built on top of the inside floor against the end of porch boards. There are steal beams running the length of house and then the floor joists sit on that. Rim joist on foundation wall and two steal beams down center of house.

·
Registered
37,379 Posts
No way should any insulation be used under that porch until it's enclosed, it's going to do nothing but trap water and cause mold, fungus, and rotting issues.
Best you can do is seal up the area between the main house and the porch at the rim joist with the 2" foam and expanding foam to fill the gaps.

Reactions: Windows on Wash

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I have to decide on keeping porch and losing heat or closing in porch. 10 by 50ft porch is hard to give up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts