DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved a kneewall in a home office and had a crew finish the ceiling for me. So I have a knee wall facing an unheated area I will use for storage. This storage area is where the roof angles down to the soffit vents and creates a triangular shaped space. When the office was smaller, I sealed the walls with radiant foam board and expanding foam. Where the insulation stopped at the header of the kneewall I cut foam blocks to seal the cutoff ends of the R30 Insulation against the roof. There was thin foam baffle maintaining an air space against the roof itself. So my foam end caps left a cutout so they could hang out just a bit. I did this based on research that says currents get set up inside the insulation below a certain temp making them ineffective. I didn't want that wall and the angled ceiling where it joins freezing cold in the winter.

Anyway, since the ceiling is longer now by 3 feet, I glued 1" foam strips to the roof and put up aluminum foil radiant barrier. The foam strips keep an air space between the foil and the roof when the R30 is pressed up against it and stapled. However, the workers left 3 feet of R30 extending past the knee wall. I don't know if they were too lazy to cut it or what. So for that section, there is no space between the roof and the batting. I was going to cut it flush with the wall and put the foam end caps I save back where they were. Anything I should be aware of? Should I just leave the extra length of insulation? It is a tough angle to get in there. How can I cut it? Scissors?Box cutter? Thank you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts