DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding insulation to the walls inside an attic crawl space (cape cod attic has been converted to bedrooms, the walls separating the crawl spaces and bedrooms, have no insulation). What's the best way to insulate and drywall around the light fixture, currently a screwed in bulb and pull chain (sorry, don't know the proper name). Concerned about creating a fire hazard. Thanks.

·
Registered
37,139 Posts
Got a picture.
It's already a fire hazzard having an exposed light bulb in wha t amounts to a closet. Concider changing it to a recessed IC air tite fixture with a wall switch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a picture.
It's already a fire hazzard having an exposed light bulb in wha t amounts to a closet. Concider changing it to a recessed IC air tite fixture with a wall switch.
Wow, it is? This isn't the actual light, but essentially what is in all my crawl spaces. I've seen lights like this all the time, in my basement and closets growing up, friends houses, etc, etc.

·
Registered
37,139 Posts
No longer legal in closits.
Light bulb must be covered.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No longer legal in closits.
Light bulb must be covered.
Good to know. More of a question for the electrical board, but how would I go about replacing it with something safer? Is it simple enough for a novice to do (ie, replacing a light fixture)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts