DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been reading up online and am more confused than ever about the vapor barrier location on rim joist.

I live in okanagan, BC, Canada. Dry hot summers, moderately cold Winter.

My home has a 2 foot concrete foundation wall (6" thick) exterior dirt varies from half to top of concrete (no moisture barriers on exterior). I then have a dirt floor in the crawl space. Not surprisingly I have moisture issues.

My plan is to poly floor and install rigid foam to walls of foundation, taping poly to the inside of foam.
But what to do on rim board, where should the vapor barrier go?

1.Hard against rim board and have the Roxul exposed to the crawl space?

2. Install roxul against rim board and vapor barrier the internal side flush with rigid board?
(The fibreglass insulation was like 2, and failed, but there was no poly to stop rising damp in the crawl space at that time)

I'm partial to poly and roxul as I have both and would rather not spend another 1k on froth packs.

But I know that vapor barrier locations can be affected by seasons summer vs winter, as the insulation should dry in or outwards.

Has someone else come across this and found the definitive answer?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Vapor barrier, if used, goes to the warm side of the wall. I would assume that your location is heating by furnace a greater percentage of the year than cooling by AC so the warm side of your wall is defined as the inside. I would, however, verify a vapor barrier is needed in the first place with either the poly or the mineral wool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.