DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how much blown in insulation I need per sq ft for an existing interior wall.

Thank you

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

didn't know that there is a R-Value for existing interior walls too.
What information would be needed?
I thought there would be an approx. amount of blown-in insulation per sqft for empty interior walls.

·
Registered
37,139 Posts
And how would anyone here know just how thick these walls are or what type blown in your going to use unless you share the info?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, but I am new to this and if I bother you with my inexperience please take my apology.

I think these are regular 4" walls with a reular height of 8'.
Type of blown-in insulation woul dbe cellulose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if thermal is the idea, you need to densepack. if sound is the idea, you want the cellulose a little loose, like a pillow.

Anyway, give me the width of the walls, and I will tell you how many bags you need to densepack. already have the height and depth, so just the width.

·
Registered
66 Posts
or this is even easier. as long as your measurements are accurate above, you will need a little more then 3 and half bags for every 10 feet, assuming you are using 25 lb bags.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I would use Dense pack insulation if your going for sound and thermal zoning. just know there is settling with lose fill so you might want to check out doing a dense pack less settling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The number I gave him is for densepacking, minus a little for framing members and the fact that if you haven't densepacked before, your not going to get it as tight as it should be. but he should find a happy median with this.

If it is truly a densepack, it will carry the vibrations and have no effect on noise reduction, and its not like we are trying to control a 30 or 40 degree temp difference as you would be on exterior walls. also, much less opportunity for moisture intrusion on the interior walls

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you. I am trying to find where to buy dense pack, but google gives me only installation instructions.

·
11,730 Posts
MAD King, I see looking at your other posts that you are from Germany? Welcome to the forums! "Dense-packing" cellulose is an installation procedure when insulating; http://www.karg.com/pdf/Insulaton_density/Dense_packing_Allwein_and_Biddle.pdf

It would help us in helping you if; you could explain why your interior walls need insulating. Is it for sound, to muffle noises/talking from one room to another? What is the sound source- stereo music, etc.? We need more information to help you reach the goal, but we need to know the "goal" first.

Gary

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MAD King, I see looking at your other posts that you are from Germany? Welcome to the forums! "Dense-packing" cellulose is an installation procedure when insulating; http://www.karg.com/pdf/Insulaton_density/Dense_packing_Allwein_and_Biddle.pdf

It would help us in helping you if; you could explain why your interior walls need insulating. Is it for sound, to muffle noises/talking from one room to another? What is the sound source- stereo music, etc.? We need more information to help you reach the goal, but we need to know the "goal" first.

Gary
First let me thank you for the excellent link.

Second it is for soundproof and the sound it TV and sometimes talking. Even quiet talking. I am maybe a little bit sensitive with that.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Soundproofing Guy
239 Posts
You wouldn't want to pack insulation for soundproofing purposes. Any packed / dense insulation will allow conduction of the vibration. Exactly what we're looking to avoid.

Best to look at some decoupled mass. That would make a big difference. Even on its best day insulation doesn't add a lot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Gary

the first link gives me this back:

Code:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
:(

Bookmarked the other links.

@Ted

decoupled mass means that I have to re-do all the walls to separate them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts