DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
we have a drop soffit on the interior of our house wall that runs along an exterior wall where the roof line comes down. there is not exterior soffit in this area of the house. we are in the middle of a residing project and have discovered a water leak near the same area. the exterior is now exposed and we can see some damage to the under side of the roof sheathing. we have always had ice dam issues in this portion of the roof. Live in wisconsin and the area faces north. Can see in from the outside, that there is batt insulation in the drop. the kind that is fully encased in plastic. assuming that code and building practices have changed since the house was built in the late 70's....what is the proper way to insulate the drop soffit and give it an appropriate barrier to our warm house air from escaping into the attic and onto the roof sheathing directly above. the space is not accessible from the attic, as the roof line comes in too low there. Help is appreciated, we don't want the mold and rot to start (if it hasn't already :eek:) thanks!

·
Exterior Construction
26,125 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I had found that website last night, but was a little confused. in our situation, the roof line comes down at such an angle we wouldn't be able to insulate on top of the foam board you cant even get close enough from the attic side to see into the soffit. i understand that the warm air is flowing up thru the soffit and coming in contact with the roof sheathing and the back side of the facia board, creating condensation. currently there is the batt insulation in the soffit cavity. is this o.k? since we have water damage in this area, I would like to open the soffit to make sure there is not any mold growing.. should the soffit cavity be void of all insulation? do i put the foam board on the top of the soffit- from the underside, since that is the only way i can get to it, and also on the back side of the face board? or do I just put plastic sheathing in that area? can i/should i keep insulation in the soffit cavity? sorry no picture, no digital camera right now. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts