DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
In a little over my head
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 12x24 shed. 1-4' off the ground on posts. 3/12 shingle roof, on trusses. Smartside sheathing. 4 windows, with screens. Gable vents. Use will be storage and hobby. Woodworking, etc. Heat will be a kerosene heater, on demand. A few times a month, a few times a year.

I'm in Atlanta. It never occurred to me to insulate the building, until several people asked me why not. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Are you going to finish the interior walls or just leave the open studs ? I am north of you in Dahlonega . As you know it's been quite chilly the last few weeks so cold weather has to be considered . But as you also know late spring through early fall is very hot and humid . My suggestion is to use it " as is " for now and see how well you like working in there under various conditions . Then add insulation if needed . Does the building have electrical power ?

·
In a little over my head
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plan is open studs and open ceiling. The building will have electricity. Heat by portable kerosene heater. I had a window AC unit in my last shed. I may do that again, depending what I find on sale or at a yard sale. But not immediately.

My old shed/shop had one wall, over a workbench, with pink insulation, drywall and pegboard. When I demo'd it, it was full of bugs. I figure I'm better off not giving them anywhere too comfortable.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I don't know the specs on the heater but not insulating might be good from the standpoint of air exchange to keep the exhaust fumes from being a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts