DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Handyman
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!

Have an inside garage wall which leads to the inside of the house. The rooms in the house facing that wall are ICE cold! Since it is only 2x4 construction, I plan to remove the drywall (from the garage side) and sister on 2x3's to widen the space, and install R24 fiberglass insulation with a new 6 mil vapour barrier. My question is, rather than just re-drywall the wall, is there another recommendation to further insulate it? Perhaps exterior plywood? Someone suggested I use Denseshield, but it seems too vulnerable to bangs and scrapes...perhaps both?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Thanks for including your location.

The vapor barrier needs to go on the warm side of the wall. In your case I think this would be the inside of the house, not the garage side.

It may be cost effective to get it spray foamed as you do not need to add poly then, and your existing 3.5" may by enough.
I can see wanted to do it from the garage side as less mess in the house and probably way easier.

·
Handyman
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Mae-Ling..spray foam here is still very expensive.

Yes, the interior walls are tile and wallpaper so garage side seems most logical.

·
Handyman
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe...so the drywall is sufficient? The reason I ask is because we have had some severe cold for the last few years...down to -41 deg. C

·
Handyman
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I think you may be right...certainly a cleaner finish in the garage area.

I think I'll go that route.

Thanks all, let you know what happens............next winter! lmao

Dave

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would add a couple inches of rigid foam to the garage side. Thermal bridging through the studs reduces net R-factor by about 25%, plus you could add another R-10 in the form of the foam. Attach it with firring strips to hold it in place, and re-drywall on to the firring strips.

I would use 5/8ths Fire-X drywall on a common wall with the house. It's code here.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I would add a couple inches of rigid foam to the garage side. Thermal bridging through the studs reduces net R-factor by about 25%, plus you could add another R-10 in the form of the foam. Attach it with firring strips to hold it in place, and re-drywall on to the firring strips.

I would use 5/8ths Fire-X drywall on a common wall with the house. It's code here.
railroad the rigid foam board over the studs, then no need for furring strips, just rock right over it. rigid foam board just reduces interior space some.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts