DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am new on here french canadian, avid diy'er but i am stuck here. I have been trying to wire out my GE ultramax N2 74103 ballasts to my old fixture which used magnetic t12 (30 years old) ballast. I have 2 brand new ballasts ( ge ultramax 74103) a bunch of t8 energy efficient tubes, new tombstones connectors and I follow the wiring scheme on the ballast to the letter! Result is when everything is installed and i flick the power switch to ON the neon tubes flicks on like 1/2 a second then they turn 98% off ,only the side where the blue wires are hooked is very very dimly lit.
I've hit a wall there and need help , afterall, everything is new but the "container".

Help me please

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,819 Posts
That ballast requires shunted tombstones, are yours shunted?

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,819 Posts
Those are unshunted. Run a number between the 2 pins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly, i added a jumper between the pins and I still have the same result, there must be something i am missing, do i need an igniter or something else ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would a bad ground cause issue with an instant start ballast ? Should i run a wire from the ballast body to the ground lead ?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have 2 brand new ballasts ( ge ultramax 74103) a bunch of t8 energy efficient tubes, new tombstones connectors and I follow the wiring scheme on the ballast to the letter! Result is when everything is installed and i flick the power switch to ON the neon tubes flicks on like 1/2 a second then they turn 98% off ,only the side where the blue wires are hooked is very very dimly lit.
You stated that you have fitted "a bunch of t8 energy efficient tubes"

Just what type of tubes are these - to merit the appellation of "energy efficient".

The reason I ask this is that, when I search for "energy efficient" t8 tubes, I find many references to LED tubes!

If you have fitted LED tubes instead of fluorescent tubes, this could be the cause of your problem!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Original tubes were t12, and when i read the install guide, it is quite clear those ballast operate from 108v to 255v but they can take power peaking up to 347v

I tried the ground this morning it helped a little bit but still to enough to kick start the ballasts

·
JW
428 Posts
It appears that your ballast is only rated for 347V. If the ballast could handle more than one voltage, it would be listed on the ballast and have more than one wire tapped off the ballast to splice to the incoming hot wire.

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
Original tubes were t12, and when i read the install guide, it is quite clear those ballast operate from 108v to 255v but they can take power peaking up to 347v
Read it again. You'll find it is describing two seperate series of ballasts. One, the universal type, accepts nominal input voltages of 110-277V. The second accepts 347V and only 347V. If you do not have 600Y service these ballasts will not start a lamp. Grounding, jumpering, and wishing cannot change this fact.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Sunstealth

I suggest that, even if you now cannot return the units which you have purchased, it is time to "cut you losses" and obtain either two GE232MAX-G-L (or N) or one GE432MAX-G-L (or N).

The "232s" can be obtained for less than $17 and the "432s" for less than $25.

Put the ones that you now have on Ebay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts