DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm building an 18x12 monopitch cabin with a 12' tall wall on one side and I want to place a large 8' window in the center of the 18' wall. So it would be ~5' from each end.

I also want to install 2- 6' windows above the lofted area on the same wall. The 6' window's trimmer/cripple and king stud would be starting on top of the header for the 8' window (as well as all of the bottom cripples). Is this okay?? I haven't been able to find any info on installing windows above other windows!

Also, this installation will make the top cripples for the 8' window SUPER tall (7' or so), is that no problem?

Final question... I want to raise the wall in pieces after installing the windows and siding (installing after raising would be an absolute magic trick). Because the windows are overlapping, can I raise it in 3 sections? The big 8' section with the long window in the middle, then the two other sections that look like upside down L shapes?

I've attached some sketches for reference. I apologize for the low quality, my sketching is not the best.

Any help on all of this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
retired framer
55,546 Posts
The lower header has to be sized to handle the load from above with maybe more jack studs with solid block under the sub floor.
I would not install windows and I would raise the wall in one piece.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!

The header was going to be a 2x12 sandwich with double jack studs, according to code. Do you think it needs extra for supporting the window?

You wouldn't install the windows beforehand because of the added weight? We're on the edge of a hill and I don't see any way to get that big of a window up there after the wall is raised. I supposed I could go back to the drawing board...

·
retired framer
55,546 Posts
Thank you for the reply!

The header was going to be a 2x12 sandwich with double jack studs, according to code. Do you think it needs extra for supporting the window?

You wouldn't install the windows beforehand because of the added weight? We're on the edge of a hill and I don't see any way to get that big of a window up there after the wall is raised. I supposed I could go back to the drawing board...
1/8 the weight of the whole roof will be on that header and the jack studs.
I would expect an engineer would call for a beam and 3 jacks under each end.
We install high windows from the inside with one person on a ladder but heavy windows get scaffolding built. We do mountain side houses and are often up 30 or 40 ft. No place for the faint of heart.:surprise:

·
Naildriver
15,604 Posts
I agree with Neal. Install the windows from the inside. We build often with the front of the house on grade and the back 20' above, putting windows 30 or 40' above. If you plan on a deck, that is a plus.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I want to raise the wall in pieces after installing the windows and siding (installing after raising would be an absolute magic trick). Because the windows are overlapping, can I raise it in 3 sections? The big 8' section with the long window in the middle, then the two other sections that look like upside down L shapes?
I think this is a bad idea. Points for creativity, but reality would bite you hard on this one. Windows and siding are heavy, aligning the parts will be difficult, sealing the seams is an issue, the finished quality will suffer, and the chances of breaking those windows while lifting are very high*.
It sounds like you haven't done a lot of this before which is fine as we all start somewhere. With that in mind you may want to simplify the design a bit. Rather than those two wide windows to the sides that interrupt the load path over the main window, consider multiple smaller windows there or another window directly above the main one of the same width.

*The windows can break from being dropped obviously, but in lifting a wall that heavy there is a good chance it will rack and twist while lifting and break the glass. You really want to be under a heavy wall with broken glass falling on your head?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for this advice! We ended up modifying the design to do exactly that. The upper window shares a king stud with the lower big window. We are about to install the lower 8ft window. Wish us luck!!

·
retired framer
55,546 Posts
Thanks for this advice! We ended up modifying the design to do exactly that. The upper window shares a king stud with the lower big window. We are about to install the lower 8ft window. Wish us luck!!
The next thing to watch for is deflection with the wind, that is a tall wall with a bending moment in the middle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts