DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to install a water softener but the main inlet pipe size is 1 1/4" and the softener is 1". Can the main pipe be reduced to 1"? I have 3 bathrooms and 7 people in my house. Thanks

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
Sure can be. Most homes only use 3/4 for the main runs so 1" would be even better.
What kind of pipe is it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a copper pipe. I bought a unit from sears and had a plumber came over to install it. He said it cannot be installed because of the differemt in pipe size. He said he cannot reduce the pipe from 1 1/4 to 1" because the water pressure will reduce greatly. Please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
Total BS. Inless this is a multi unit apartment building it would work fine.
Let me guess he wanted to sell you a softner with a bigger, hole?

Reactions: DidIDoThat

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
And he want to pick up up for you and then mark it up.
That's where they make more money.
Time for a new plumber or do it yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, Sears already charged me $159 for installation and this guy was charging me another $260. I asked why does he has to charge $260 extra? He said what I paid was the "Sears installtion". I'm really confused so I told him I'll just do it myself.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Code in many areas requires that the inlet size of the softener match the pipe size coming in so the plumber may have been advising you of what is required to satify code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Code in many areas requires that the inlet size of the softener match the pipe size coming in so the plumber may have been advising you of what is required to satify code.
Do you think it is safe to reduce the pipe size from 1 1/4 to 1" though?

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
Why not contact the water softner company?

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
I've never even seen any home with a 1-1/4 supply line, sounds odd ball to me.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Only place that I can think of that would use a incoming line size like that, would be a commercial structure. I am calling bunk on this one also. At around 23gpm, that is a lot of water gushing into that softener system.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Do you think it is safe to reduce the pipe size from 1 1/4 to 1" though?
Not a safety issue so far as I can see. As others have posted it is difficult to imagine that a 1" line is not sufficient for a typical home.

But that said codes are developed for what are typically good reasons and failure to follow code can cause problems down stream when, for example, trying to sell a property.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only place that I can think of that would use a incoming line size like that, would be a commercial structure. I am calling bunk on this one also. At around 23gpm, that is a lot of water gushing into that softener system.
The softener (GE 4000 $497 at Home Depot) stated that it is for installation with the 1" or 1 1/4" pipe.

·
Premium Member
11,800 Posts
We run 1 1/4 building supplies quite often- You need to get out more Joe:jester:

·
Water Treatment
1,087 Posts
I was looking at the link and the system has a flow rate of 9.5gpm at 15psi drop and as the flow rate goes up so will the pressure lose and that most likely with either the 1 or 1 1/4 plumbing for the system as the VALVE and media will only handle so much.
If you are looking for cheap then this is the system but the flow rates will suffer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts