DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this vanity. The reason it's not as simple as normal is because the ground plumbing wasn't done well. The drain pipe can be seen through the wall. It was hidden by the previous vanity and will hopefully be hidden by this one also.

Also, the baseboard on the left (the one that goes toward the corner) is not flush with the other one. It's over 1/2" back. When I push the vanity in, it hits the pipe.

No matter how I do it, there's a 5/8" - 3/4" gap on the side and top.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would remove the baseboard behind the vanity for one (cutting the one on the right to fit once the vanity is placed)

And to make space for your pipe just cut a notch in the back of the vanity. I can't see in the picture but assume it's a solid in the front so you won't be able to see it anyways. You may have to reinforce the cabinet higher up or on the inside of where you cut the notch since you are weakening the base but nothing that can't be done

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
The baseboards behind the vanity are unnecessary. Unless it was there to space the old vanity away from the wall. You could do the same and then trim in the sides of the vanity like they do with kitchen cabinets. I’d attach skinny boards to let it vanity contact the wall. The top however will be a different story. The other alternative of fixing the plumbing…yikes. Could you notch the back bottom of the vanity? Then maybe slice off just enough of the thicker baseboard trim to fit it to the cabinet instead of pushing it against the back of the cabinet. Why doesn’t the vanity have a floor in it? I can see the tile.
Wood Shade Paint Tints and shades Plaster

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would remove the baseboard behind the vanity for one (cutting the one on the right to fit once the vanity is placed)

And to make space for your pipe just cut a notch in the back of the vanity. I can't see in the picture but assume it's a solid in the front so you won't be able to see it anyways. You may have to reinforce the cabinet higher up or on the inside of where you cut the notch since you are weakening the base but nothing that can't be done

My exact initial thought as well.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

@Gcraay

I removed both baseboards. If I put the vanity all the way to the left wall, the pipe is still exposed. If I move the vanity to the right just far enough so that I'll be able to cut the bottom corner to allow the pipe to go in, there's a 1" gap on the left, which I believe is the preferable option.

I won't be able to get an identical matching piece to trim in the vanity like they do kitchen cabinets, so I will choose to leave the gap. There will be a gap not only between the vanity and wall, but also between the vanity top and the wall. This isn't ideal, but it might be the best I can do.

Fixing the plumbing is not an option. The plumber missed in a few locations in this house. All except this one were fixed at time of the 2nd (wall) rough-in. But for this one, it had something to do with how the fitting was located that it would have required replacing a good portion of the pipe in the ground. I'm not willing to go through all that.

There's no floor because that's how this vanity was built. There's 3 drawers and nothing else.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I would do--deal with the gap on the left and make sure the pipe is hidden. Only other option is to get a wider vanity :)

@Gcraay @XSleeper

After notching the bottom corner and setting it, the side gap is not even an issue. However, there's another issue I didn't think of previously... There's now a 3/8" gap between vanity top and the back wall. This is with the top flush to the front. If I push the top back to the wall, there's 3/8" of the front of the vanity exposed. I'm willing to sacrifice some aesthetics to get this done, but I think this is too much. What are my options? Will I have to buy a backsplash, even if that means moving the mirror higher? And the backsplash will have to be thick enough to allow a 3/8" gap with still enough left to adhere to the counter. Plus it would have to match perfectly or it would look bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Your floor is obviously not level if you push the vanity against the wall and it's tight on bottom and has a gap on top. Shim the front edge of the vanity up so that the back of the vanity is tight to the wall. Then cover the gap around the vanity with trim.

Either that or scribe the vanity to the floor by cutting the bottom of the vanity to match your out of level floor.

If the front has legs, you might be able to attach a pad or adjustable chair slide onto the bottom of the leg to shim the legs higher. That will push the vanity tight against the wall in back.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your floor is obviously not level if you push the vanity against the wall and it's tight on bottom and has a gap on top. Shim the front edge of the vanity up so that the back of the vanity is tight to the wall. Then cover the gap around the vanity with trim.

Either that or scribe the vanity to the floor by cutting the bottom of the vanity to match your out of level floor.
It's because the side wall of the vanity was hitting the pipe. The drywall on the right side of the pipe was proud of the drywall to the left side (behind vanity) of the pipe. I cut out some drywall in that area and secured the remaining drywall better. Now I will just have to patch and put some joint compound directly on the pipe.

I believe I'm all good now besides securing better what remains of the vanity corner that I notched. Any thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts