DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I a looking to put tile down where I currently have carpet but after pulling the carpet up and expecting to see just concrete slab, I am seeing a thin layer of white material. This material is rougher than the slab and doesn't feel like or look like a paint. It feels more like a mortar. Question is, what is this and can I apply mortar and tile on top of it or do I have to remove it. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
16,927 Posts
Quite possibly it is SLC (Self leveling compound), and there was a dip in the floor at one time. It is grainer than concrete. You should not have a problem applying 1/4" of thinset on it and laying your tile.

·
Naildriver
16,927 Posts
If it is all over the floor, it is DamTite "waterproofing". There may have been moisture problems before and the Previous Owner thought it best to "seal" the floor, which he didn't, but that's water under the bridge (no pun intended).

If you don't have cracks in the floor, the floor should be good to lay tile on directly. Ditra is an isolation membrane that keeps the tiles from cracking when the concrete expands, so you may not need to spend that extra money. However, if you feel like you should, Ditra is a great product.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.