DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I’m redoing my fireplace and installing 1.25" thick stone veneer wall and want to plan for tv install above fireplace as well.

Debating between these options:

1. Leaving a space in the stone wall for tv mount (looking at drop mount so space would be fairly large)
2. Install full stone wall and then install mount into the stone (and into studs behind it)

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Just thinking pros/cons of each approach, future resale, etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
retired framer
53,524 Posts
Install a 2x? the size needed to install the bracket, paint it black to match the bracket and stone around it. Save enough stone to fill the space if you want later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Install a 2x? the size needed to install the bracket, paint it black to match the bracket and stone around it. Save enough stone to fill the space if you want later.
Thanks...that's an idea I hadn't thought of. Just wondering now if the tv would stick out too far if I don't recess it somewhat into the stone. Trying to avoid the tv from being further out that the mantel.

Like I said, pros and cons I guess.

·
Challenge Everything!
506 Posts
I don't know if you can see it but I filled the fireplace with black broken glass and added Candles. It no longer functions as Fireplace. And it isn't too high, we're watching it daily. It is also tilted down some 5 degrees or so.
Had it like this since 2016 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Inwould put blocking in the wall ... maybe just a piece of 1/2” ply ... then install the stones as if there was not going to be a tv. When you install the tv mount, try to run the screws through the mortar joints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.