DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

I am a safety officer for a manufacturing plant. I am looking at installing safety guardrails along the edge of the roof. The roof is gravel and tar. I was hoping to form a perimeter around our commercial building while we can probably install it ourselves, consider how many welder and related tradesmen we have.

Could anyone give me more info on how to go about this process, or any companies that distribute the guardrails?

·
Commercial Flat Roofing
119 Posts
It's good idea for the rail however, it's not as simple as welding some pipe together and bolting it in.

There are very strict multiple OSHA standards regarding fall protection and low slope roofs. Many are changing as I write this. "generally" low slope fall protection is covered under standard #1926.502 (construction). There are others under the "general use" standards.

IF you indeed have a Built up with gravel roof (tar and gravel) and you want a permanent rail, each post location will have to have a hole cut in to the roof down to the decking, Post secured and a "Pitch Pan", "Pocket" or whatever the regional dialect calls it installed around each one, insulation filled in around the pan, flashed into the roof system, partially filled with concrete and topped off with pourable sealant or roof cement.

The rail cannot be secured to the outside edge of the roof, there must be a set back. It changes with roof dimensions, building height, parapet wall height etc. however a "rule of thumb" is six feet from the perimeter edge.

There are "temporary" perimeter rail systems that can be used. I would recommend looking at Blue Water Manufacturing.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just curious what is the intended purpose of your roof that you feel the need to erect a permanent safety system?

I'm not sure a welder would do that well making the posts water tight through the roof. good luck.

look at www.garlockchicago.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts