DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I enjoy DIY projects, but have gotten in a little over my head! I am installing a 30 ft. paver walkway leading up to my front porch. My house is on a slight slope, so to level the walkway, the pavers on the lowest end would be 5 1/4" above the surrounding ground. What would you do? I see two options: 1) build up the area outside the low end and meet it up to the pavers, or 2) add a low retaining wall on the low end. Which would you recommend? Also, would I do that step BEFORE or AFTER laying down the pavers? Thank you!! BTW this project has ended up costing me MORE than I would have paid a professional to do it! It's killing me, but I'm committed to finishing it up!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Pavers can follow the grade as long as the base is consistent. Do you not consider that an option?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I started to do, and I will maintain some slope further down the walkway, but where I have to meet up with the front porch steps, it needs to be level or it looks funky. Also, to maintain no more than a 7" step up (recommended) to the first step, I need to bring the grade up, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
It absolutely does. Just use the dirt you dug out for base to level around the pad. In my backyard I made a 3x3 flat and and then gently went down the grade.

If it is a sharp start you may have to bevel cut the the first course next to the pad leaving them full on top and cutting inward as you go down. This allows you to maintain the same size joint there as the rest of the joints.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts