DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I previously had an old light installed in my kitchen and I am now putting up a new light. I have the wires exposed from the ceiling showing two red wires pigtailed. Two blacks pigtailed. Two whites separated (one has a black strip on the insulation.) It looks like I would have 3 hots than? My new light fixture has a black white and a ground wire so all I would need to do it pigtail them when I figure out this wiring. Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello everyone, I previously had an old light installed in my kitchen and I am now putting up a new light. I have the wires exposed from the ceiling showing two red wires pigtailed. Two blacks pigtailed. Two whites separated (one has a black strip on the insulation.) It looks like I would have 3 hots than? My new light fixture has a black white and a ground wire so all I would need to do it pigtail them when I figure out this wiring. Any help would be awesome!

·
Super Moderator
22,731 Posts
Switch loop is when power is at the fixture. A 2 wire cable is run to the switch. Power goes to the switch and is "looped" back. It is supposed to go TO the switch on the white and come back on the black. In your case it seems to go to the switch on the black and loop back switched on the white.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay thank you everyone. The only problem is I have two three wire cables coming in not a 2 wire cable. So I am going to give it a show with connecting the light black with the black and the white to the white

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Do you remember untwisting the wire nuts on the black and red wires when you removed the old light?

My impression is you have a 3-way setup with the light between the switches, and power coming into one of the switches. The black and red would be travelers, not to be messed with.

Where 3-way circuits are involved, color coding is basically nonexistent. You're lucky the one white wire is taped.

The fact that you have 2 solo bare non-ground wires that connect to nothing else, pretty much proves they can only be for the light. They would have no reason to be there and be bare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you remember untwisting the wire nuts on the black and red wires when you removed the old light?

My impression is you have a 3-way setup with the light between the switches, and power coming into one of the switches. The black and red would be travelers, not to be messed with.

Where 3-way circuits are involved, color coding is basically nonexistent. You're lucky the one white wire is taped.

The fact that you have 2 solo bare non-ground wires that connect to nothing else, pretty much proves they can only be for the light. They would have no reason to be there and be bare.
Yep, that was the case. The red and black were acting as travelers. I would have been lost if they didn’t mark the one white as a hot. I got the light up! Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.