DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an atrium in the middle of our townhouse (approximately 10' X 4') with a dirt floor. It is currently covered with a layer of moisture barrier, then sand/dirt (Florida), then another layer of moisture barrier and then rocks. The area is topped with a skylight.

I want to install a laminate floor over the area so that the room can be used as a small office for my wife. I don't believe that getting concrete into the area is an option so I am looking at putting down some framing, then plywood subfloor then laminate.

Looking for any recommendations on ensuring a good flat base for this floor and trying to keep moisture from ruining the floor for at least ten years or so!

Thanks.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
A picture would be nice.
You should not just build what amounts to a deck directly on grade like that, moisture under it from no air flow under it will cause it to rot out.
2X's are not direct ground contact rated.
Plywood would need to be at least 18" above grade.
Concrete can be brought in with a pumper truck, some places even have a trailer for smaller loads.
Hard to make suggestions that would work in your case without seeing it.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
How large is this new floor?

I would not use a wood frame floor without enough clearance for ventilation---it will not hold up well---mold,bugs --

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
I would pour cement. A 2" pad would be plenty thick enough for this. You seem to have a decent base already. If not, add some smaller stones or pea-gravel and tamp flat. You only need ¼ cubic yard to do 40 sq. ft. at 2". Mix it by hand either outside or it can be done inside with some protection.

Jaz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts