DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to add a shower drain to an existing concrete basement shower drain prior to tiling floor and walls. The existing metal floor drain sits well below grade and by adding the new drain (Sioux Chief 821-2p) will bring it about up to tile height. Since it is a concrete floor, I do not want to use a membrane. Question is, what cement product would you recommend that will adhere to the existing floor and what product for cementing in the new drain?

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
why would you not protect the conc floor ? unless someone's got a better idea, you use plumber's putty & screw down the drain base - after that, you install the drain cover :thumbsup:

we do use a product but its $ 127 for a 4g unit but doubt a diy'er-h/o would pay that & then only use 1/2pint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a basement drain with a shower head and faucet installed when house built. No tile on walls or floor. Original drain is cast iron and sits 3-4" below the surrounding floor. The new 2" PVC drain will be stubbed out of old drain with PVC section and rubber gasket to bring the new drain plate up at correct height for tiling.
I am wondering what the correct cement product is for filling in the area around the new drain, and one that will adhere to the old concrete and provide a secure foundation for tile?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Are you sure that's what it's meant for.?
Where does the drain lead to, sewer, outside, etc..?
Have you check how well it will drain.?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've put in showers where floor drains were, and what I've done is cut out the concrete, install the shower drain, pre-slope, and shower pan. I've also done the Laticrete drain with no pre-slope.

You could also set a shower receptor above the floor drain after you make the proper connection, then frame the walls, tile, etc.

I just got done re-setting a Mustee showr receptor which is elevated and has a drain running above the slab and pouring into a floor drain. I had to remove it to do some work, then re-installed it. If I had to do it again, I would take the time and cut into the concrete and have the shower receptor resting on the slab or build a pan with the membrane or liquid membrane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts