DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be a good idea to install corbels under the counter to make the kitchen more aesthetically pleasing. However, I can not due to the angle of the counter vs the back of the cabinet is not 90 degrees. It's off by about 20 degrees.

The only two options I have is to shave off the 20 degree angle on the back of the corbel or to just return the corbels and not do it. It's an older house removing and replacing is not an option in order to make it 90. I appreciate any ideas you guys have! See attached photo.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
retired framer
51,295 Posts
I can't imagine it looking right if it is not square with the wall below, as built.

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
I'd be setting at least a 4' level on top of that counter top to see if the whole top is not level, or just where it overhangs, or the short wall is out of plumb.
If it's a cheap particle board top it may have sagged and could be lifted.
Changing the style of corbel, or making your own would make it a whole lot easier to cut to fit.

·
4,080 Posts
Well, the countertop is showing it does not need the support because it is raising up on that side, rather than lowering. To me the top corbels are just something a child playing will bump their head in to or if it gets bar stools, they are a knee knocker. And if its just older people in the home, they seldom bend over that far to look for anything anyway. :)

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Use shim to make up the difference then add small 1/4 round trim to cover the gap. But can you make your own? Or look for solid, thicker trim and cut to fit as suggested. Lumber yards may have it.

I have used bathtub corner guards that are adjustable.:smile: The middle part is in a groove. Maybe there are such adjustable corbels somewhere. Try searching.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Since it is just aesthetic mount it flush to wall and tight to corner. You won’t see gap under countertop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts