DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of installing a wood burning insert in my old fireplace. I have some questions/concerns about the liner. The current chimney is a brick chimney from the original build, but we recently did a remodel which lead to the chimney terminating in the new attic and being extended through the roof with a stainless steel extension.

My plan is to run the liner down the extension, through the old brick chimney to the insert. I want to know if this is ok to do and also if there is anything special I should consider with this. For example, putting some special insulation around the cap at the top of the old chimney etc.

I still need to get on the roof and take a closer look, but looking for guidance before I break out the ladder.

Chimney cap, the pipe on the left is the one I would drop the liner down. Seems to be about 10", maybe 12", in diameter.

The left side pipe is how it exits. It has the suitable amount of height from the roof to correctly draw I think.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
You’ll need to be very sure of what you’re doing here, to ensure that it’s done safely.

Does the existing fireplace chimney have a clay flue liner, or is it unlined? If it has a liner, what size is it, and what size stainless liner does the manufacturer of the planned insert suggest to use? We’re preparing to remove the existing clay flue liner from our chimney in order to run a stainless liner in its place. The new liner won’t fit through the existing one.

I’m struggling to think how the connection between the new stainless steel extension and the existing chimney flue was done, but your recent renovation looks significant enough that a building permit would have probably been pulled and the chimney extension inspected as part of that. If that wasn’t the case, I suggest caution.

Your new stainless steel extension to the chimney, because it passes through the combustible roof, is double-wall construction, so the available space to route a new liner inside is much less than what is apparent in the photos. I’ve never heard of that being done, but your current setup is unusual.

I don’t know the answer to this, but I’ll mention my concern and other knowledgeable folks on this forum can answer. The vent cap visible in the second photo looks like the type that would be used with “B-Vent” used to vent gas-fired equipment. The holes look to be insufficient to allow the higher volume of wood smoke from a fireplace to exit. The bigger issue is that “B-Vent” is not allowed to be used with solid-fuel burning appliances.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To answer the questions within. Yes, was a significant renovation so all necessary codes were followed with numerous inspections along the way.

The insert I have calls for a 6" liner.

Looking up the chimney I see brick and motar, so it appears currently unlined. Original house was built in 1910.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my plan. I haven't ordered it yet, but I was planning on a stainless steel double walled liner. Then insulate it also, if needed...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts