DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be ceramic tiling the floor in one of my bathrooms that currently has vinyl glued down over 3/4 plywood. Can I install hardi over the 3/4" plywood with some glue on it or do I have to scrape all the glue or replace the plywood? Thanks

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Cbu has to be thinset'd in place, not glued.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that cbu needs thinset under it and i never meant to sound like I was going to glue it down. I removed the vinyl and some glue was left on the subfloor. Am I able to thinset over the glue that I can't scrape off or will this cause problems. I thought I might be ok since from what I understand the thinset under the cbu is just to fill any voids under the cbu? Thanks

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Carry on, good plan. Don't forget to mesh-tape the seams. Use modified thinset from here on.:thumbsup:

Jaz

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
I see you're still online....? Go set some tiles! :laughing: :thumbsup:

Jaz

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just leave the computer on while i'm working so when all the "issues" come up it's ready to post! I just set the shower pan and will start putting densshield on the walls and hardi on the floor tommorrow. I'm shure I'll have some more questions along the way. Thanks again for your advice.:thumbsup:

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Dens on shower walls? OK, have you figured out who to build the lower part of the shower walls where the floor and wall come together? If so please xplain it to me. Have you studied their sketch?

Go to their site and find the sketch on how to build a shower. Please report back.

Jaz

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jaz, I am using a plastic or PVC molded shower pan, not tiling the floor. I plan on butting the dens up to the lip on the pan and then caulking between the pan and dens. I am using dens because from what I have read it seems to be the best/easiest way to waterproof the shower besides using kerdi. I will be using redgaurd on the screws and seems. Does my plan seem ok? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts