DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
From everything the OP has said I really question if a beam is needed.
Les then 1/16th sag (not sure how he measured it) and the crack right where a patch may have been made when a wall was removed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17,158 Posts
mae-ling my house has about a 3/4" tilt to one side, because the downspouts were not extended far enough on that side.

Over the past 13 years, there has been no change in the house moving.

I would not be surprised if this was just common house movement. Especially in that they took out a wall after the house had pretty much moved in wood shrinkage.

Pulling that wall out, caused further movement of the trusses, because they were previously tied to the wall for such a long period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey guys. I totally disappeared on you but thanx for all the input,
In interest of paying forward your help, i'll tell you what we did for the next guy who comes along and reads this.
Measured the "sag" in the ceiling again, with a level and found some big humps in the ceiling. There were 2 spots that were 3/4 of a inch lower than the rest of the line in the ceiling, where the wall used to be. Which is not terrible, but it bugged me, so we decided to put a beam in.
Lifted up the siding and cut a small slot in the shiplap to fit 2x12's through. Built a 3 ply beam in the attic, put it in place and uses some conveniently shaped Simpson brackets, that i found at the local hardware store, to connect the ceiling joists to the beam. Made some blocking at both ends to prevent the beam from falling over (its never falling over unless theres a major earthquake. In which case the whole house is probably coming down anyway). We also filled the walls on the top floor and bottom floor with 2x4's and 2x6's to transfer the weight of the beam straight down to the foundation. Oh and we jacked up on the few spots that were low in the ceiling before we did all this.

So long story short, i overkilled the hell out of this project. But i'll sleep a lot better knowing that its overbuilt as opposed to being sufficient. Total cost was about $300 and took about 8 hours start to finish.
 
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Top