DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Hope you can help me out on this.

The carpet guys asked me to install the baseboards all the way down to the sub floor. I know on most new construction this is the way it is done, but isn't it better to leave a gap to allow for the carpet to be tucked in under it?

I asked him if he was sure that i should install the base boards down to the subfloor and he kept saying yes, even when i asked him isn't it a better finish to have the carpet tucked under...

Is it easier one way or the other for the carpet installer, and is he just trying to get out of doing more work?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Walls and floors breath at different rates, so the baseboard is never attached to the floor, only the wall. And generally the baseboard is held up off the floor some. That could be a 1/16 or a 1/4"

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,346 Posts
It looks better to me if the baseboards are close to the floor. It is no more work to trim the carpet either way. But what do I know? I've only been installing carpet for 36 years.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It looks better to me if the baseboards are close to the floor. It is no more work to trim the carpet either way. But what do I know? I've only been installing carpet for 36 years.
I'm a trim carpenter & hardwood floor guy. I just do what the local installers tell me to do. You guys can keep the carpet business, I want no part of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts