DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I had an HVAC tech come out recently to perform a 'tune up'. He mentioned that I need a surge protector and a hard start.

I figure I am savvy enough to install both of these on my own. I've replaced a capacitor on a unit before, and even replaced a breaker panel in our old home, although there were very few hot wires to deal with at the time. Anyway just looking for some experienced guidance!

I assume I will need to find a brand/model for each device (surge protector & hard start) that will match my specific model outdoor AC unit, or at least have the right spec. Is that right, or will any-old Surge Protector and any-old Hard Start do?

I just want to throw the general question out there before I dive too deep on this. I have not done a lot of research yet, but your initial answer here will help to guide me in that effort when I do! :)

Attaching the invoice from the AC guy, don't think that will help but just in case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's exactly what it was of course. Actually the first sell attempt was the monthly subscription for, well whatever, but that was a no thank you.

He said the items were needed because I don't have them, pretty much. But it seems smart to me to have a surge protector at least?

It sounded like the hard start was more optional based on my current system performance, but would not hurt to have?

Appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I can't blame you for declining his offers. If you call him again, you'll be making your second mistake.

Most compressors don't need a hard start kit unless you insist on jacking around with the thermostat and trying to immediately restart the unit when it shuts down. Generally they are used when a compressor is in the last dying throws of failure due to seizure and they cost in the area of $15~$50. And putting a surge protector on a high side unit is well beyond common reason and if there one that cost what his estimate claims, I'd like to see what that might be. That guy was trying to get in your wallet.

Is your compressor showing a hard start problem under normal use?

Reactions: the_damn

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
other applications - recip compressor with a non-equalizing txv, low voltage conditions, starting on a generator.

if your unit needed a hard start it, it would have trouble starting now.

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
You should really remove the document because it has your name and address. ask a mod if you can't edit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoops, uploaded the wrong version of the attachment. I've asked them to remove it. Never seen a forum where they don't let users edit their own post!

Ok thanks for all the input here. Everything with the unit was fine when he checked it out. So it sounds like I really don't need a surge protector, or a hard start?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts