DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am interested in replacing our side entry door with a pre-hung door. It currently sits recessed, about 1" to the drywall (i.e. there is small drywall return).

I would like to recess this further creating a more pronounced drywall return (perhaps 3 .5 inches). The depth of the wall is about 9 inches and includes framing 2x4, sheathing, and a brick recess on the exterior for the entry.

Would I need to install bucks for this or could I simply attach the new door jamb toward the outside 1/2 inch of the 2x4 jacks. Do I need to consider anything different when measuring up the door for this order.

Thanks in advance.

Hal

·
retired framer
60,144 Posts
Hi all. I am interested in replacing our side entry door with a pre-hung door. It currently sits recessed, about 1" to the drywall (i.e. there is small drywall return).

I would like to recess this further creating a more pronounced drywall return (perhaps 3 .5 inches). The depth of the wall is about 9 inches and includes framing 2x4, sheathing, and a brick recess on the exterior for the entry.

Would I need to install bucks for this or could I simply attach the new door jamb toward the outside 1/2 inch of the 2x4 jacks. Do I need to consider anything different when measuring up the door for this order.

Thanks in advance.

Hal
Deeper or wider?? If you want it to recess toward the outside you would just order a jam for 2x4 wall.
If you want it wider and higher, that would be framing you would have to check the thickness of the header. Anything inside the plane of the header could be cut back to flush.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I'm still somewhat confused. The door sits flush with the interior edge of the jamb. The bulk of the jab is comprised exterior to the door component. I want the door to be recessed toward the outside. Would this be similar to ordering a window with a jamb extension?

·
retired framer
60,144 Posts
Sorry I'm still somewhat confused. The door sits flush with the interior edge of the jamb. The bulk of the jab is comprised exterior to the door component. I want the door to be recessed toward the outside. Would this be similar to ordering a window with a jamb extension?
Yes it makes sense and you could just order the depth if jam you want but that will restrict the hinge movement and not allow the door to swing all the way open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.