DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing a new hose bib on the house

12531 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  secutanudu
I have a hose bib already but it's at an odd area. I will keep that one as it may still be handy, but I want to add another one. I bought one and it is a threaded fitting on the end. Is this a standard? How does this work, is there a special fitting I would put on the end of the pipe and I just screw it in with Teflon tape?

I think I will also bite the bullet and buy the proper pex crimper instead of using shark bites. :thumbup:

Also, any specific things I need to know when installing one of these? I'm guessing I should have it facing slightly downwards so water does not sit in it, and I just use hydrolic cement to fill the hole around it once it's done and a beed of caulk around just for looks (I noticed this stuff cracks in winter, so can't depend on it for a water seal). Sounds about right? This one also has a backflow preventer already.
1 - 1 of 10 Posts
You'll need a fitting to go from the male pipe thread (will either be 1/2 or 3/4) to pex crimp or whatever pipe you use. I use copper in my house, so if I was doing this project I would likely sweat on a threaded adapter onto the pipe and screw it together. On most of these faucets I've noticed that you can actually sweat a copper pipe directly in, but that sounds like it might cause headaches in the future should one have to replace the faucet (a relative wants me to replace one of these and the basement plumbing for it is in a tight area...) Threaded fittings I use pipe dope (Rectorseal) but you can also use teflon tape. One the faucet is in the hole and mounted you can give it a bead of silicone caulk. I wouldn't "cement" it in place. Many even have a gasket.
1 - 1 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.