DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing a GFCI without downstream protection

2495 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  seharper
I am installing an outdoor outlet in my backyard. There’s an existing receptacle on the wall that’s facing the backyard. I drilled a hole through the opening for the existing receptacle to run the wire to the backyard.

The question is wiring. I want to put GFCI for the outdoor outlet to have extra protection. Normally GFCI is installed first in line for downstream protection but in my case, I don’t want the outdoor outlet to affect other receptacles on the circuit. Is there a way to wire a GFCI without the downstream protection?
1 - 1 of 4 Posts
I am installing an outdoor outlet in my backyard. There’s an existing receptacle on the wall that’s facing the backyard. I drilled a hole through the opening for the existing receptacle to run the wire to the backyard.

The question is wiring. I want to put GFCI for the outdoor outlet to have extra protection. Normally GFCI is installed first in line for downstream protection but in my case, I don’t want the outdoor outlet to affect other receptacles on the circuit. Is there a way to wire a GFCI without the downstream protection?
If this is the last one in the line the gfci would only effect this one.

If you are feeding this from another gfci connect it to the line side of the first one in line.
1 - 1 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.