DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

My main question is if it is ok to run the electrical like this:

Let's start with the picture.

Red Line = 1x
Yellow box = ceiling fan mount
Green Line = Electrical Wire
Black Dotted Line = cut drywall.

I was wondering if it would be ok for me to run 1x a half inch inside the center beam (for the drywall to cover afterwards), so I can mount a new ceiling fan in the middle of the room on this splitting beam.

The house is a double wide so I think this beam is at least 4 2x6s.

I intend to run the wire inside the 1x's I put up and the current beam, take down some drywall and run the electrical wire to a light switch that only controls one plug in.

After it's all done, it will all be covered in new drywall so it will just make the beam look bigger. (I'm trying to avoid mounting it off the center)

If none of this makes sense, please explain what details would be nice to know.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to stay away from that because this is for my living room and I don't want it to really stick out. Plus with the wife nagging about it...

Thanks though!

Edit: I asked her, and her reply was simply, "No."

·
Scared Electrician
715 Posts
well if you are determined to do it the hard way:whistling2: Then yes you can do that.

But we will have some trouble running romex in that location. romex must either
A be 1 1/4 inches back from the face of any stud. B be protected from damage.

So u'd need to use a lot of nail plates or to use 2x's instead of 1x's

or you could switch to pipe which would protect it from damage, just pull in a romex.

cut a small hole at top of wall and drop a weighted string down to another small hole at switch. First check to see if you have a neutral in that switch box and not a switch leg, or you will have to run wires to the switched plug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts