DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installing a bathroom fan with Auto Humidity Sensor AND Timer

Hello,
I am trying to install a bathroom fan/light with the following features and was wondering the best way to do it.
1. Only the fan goes on automatically with high humidity (no light)
2. Can't turn off the fan. Only Auto and Off
2. The fan and light can also be turned on together with a timer switch on the wall.

It seems that the fans with built in humidity sensors can only be used with a three way switch where one is the light, one is the night light and one is the fan. I have small children and explaining to them how to turn the fan on and not turn it off completely is unrealistic. Plus, where we lived before, they had what I am looking to create, but I am unsure how to accomplish this. Do I need to get a separate humidity sensor rather than the built-in one? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. I don't actually have a fan right now. I was looking at a Broan qtx110sl, which has an automatic humdity sensor, a light and a night light, but I was open to suggestions. If I need to get an external humidity sensor rather than a built in one to accomplish what I was looking for, I didn't want to buy the fan first. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
You do not use a 3way switch. You use either 3 individual switches or a triple switch.

The humidity sensor switch should be kept on at all times. If you want to run the fan manually, you turn it off for one second, then turn it back on. The fan will then run for 20 minutes. (You can adjust the timer in the fan unit)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.