DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to All,

Getting ready to invest in a higher-end table saw and it comes prewired 220V. I can convert to 110 w a kit, but rather stay w 220. Here is how it is labeled in the product guide:

Motor: 2 HP, 110V/220V*, single-phase, prewired to 220V
Amps: 16A at 110V, 8A at 220V

I'll be using this saw in 2 diff places; home and in the country. At house in city, I have (2) 200amp service panels in the garage that are side-by-side, w plenty of spaces for new breakers in each panel. In the county, I have a utility bldg where the washer/dryer is located. There's a sub-panel in there that I need to check how many more slots are open, or if I will need to upgrade it so I can run the table-saw and washer from the same box, but will run only one of them at a time.

Can you pls tell me what I need for each location for a 220V outlet. Here are a few more facts:

At my house, I will install the 220V receptacle right next to the panel, so the run will be no more than 12" to 18". I've done this before w a 110 outlet.

At the ranch, the distance to where I want to install the 220V receptacle from the breaker panel will be about 25-30 ft. From this same panel, I have run new wiring for 2-3 110 outlets and 2 light switches in 2008. In my garage, I installed a 100Amp panel that comes off the main ranch house panel, and from the subpanel I ran 140ft undergrd to a farm shed and another 50ft to an outdoor pavilion and rewired the garage for new lights, receptacles and a 110 water heater. Everything in all locations are 110; this will be my first 220. In all instances, I ALWAYS turn-off the main breaker or a sub-breaker when working on any electrical issue.

Note, I am not trying to convert any 110 outlets to 220. I know I have to run heavier ga wire and will use all new material from breakers, wiring and 220v receptacles.

Thank you and pls let me know if you have any specific questions? I appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
tstex

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks Joe - for the longer run of 30ft, do you think 14ga is heavy enough or should I use 12 or 10?

Appreciate your feedback, tstex

·
Super Moderator
20,917 Posts
30 feet is not a long run. I would use #14. I know #12 and 20 amp circuits are very popular in the US, but in Canada we use 15 amp all the time without issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts