DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New member but longtime reader. Hoping to get some help - I'm planning on installing full frame replacement windows (current windows are 50+ years old and wood trim is badly rotted).

I was taking a look at the windows today and noticed that there is a "ledge" where the nail fin attaches to the window. The windows are technically replacement windows but I ordered them with an attached nail fin.

Looking for advice on how to trim these windows - was planning on using 1x4 boards around the window, then installing j-channel along the trim for vinyl siding. Not sure how to make that work with the ledge and nail fin. Also concerned about water entry at the hole in the upper corner of the window where the top and side nail fins meet. I've attached a picture that hopefully shows what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I dont think the hole is an issue. If you stick a wire into that hole, does the wire stop? It should. Those windows have a groove that the nail fin clips into, and I think all you are seeing is the groove. If the wire passes through to the inside, then yeah that might be a problem. But all you would need to do is caulk the back side of the nail fin with your installation sealant before you install the window.

And I have no idea what ledge you are talking about. If you are referring to the way the top flange is sticking out a bit, look at the opposite side and see if it's short. If it is, tap it over. If it's too long as well you could always use a wood rasp and file it down. If the joint between the two is not sealed, again, it could be sealed on the back side where the fin meets the window. Vinyl cant rot so all you should care about is that water doesnt get past the fin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @XSleeper

Thanks for your quick response! I've attached the picture again this time with arrows - the green arrow is pointing to the "ledge" (not the right term, I'm sure). I'd like to have the trim run along the red arrow as I'm not sure how it will look with that area butting against the trim above it. I may be overthinking it!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
No. Your 1x4s lay on the same surface as the nail fin does, and butt up to where your yellow arrow is. The bottom of the window likely has weep holes that cannot be blocked by overlaying the window with trim as you suggest. (Red arrow).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.