DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are sheetrocking the exterior walls of our laundry/utility room and I need to go around a hose bib penetrating straight out of the wall, as well as a PVC sewage pipe heading to the drain field. I can only see two ways to do this without breaking the pipes, which I'm not going to do.

- Leave the sheet as whole as possible, cutting a slot the diameter of the pipe from the closest edge to allow the sheet to be fed over the pipe. Pro: one less full length joint. Con: large patch needed to entire length of the slot

- Break the sheet at the pipe and cut a semicircle the radius of the pipe at the proper location so the sheets have a vertical seem in line with the pipe. Pro: probably easier to finish and have look good. Con: large vertical seam without the tapered edges.

Any input?

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Need to post a picture so we can see what your seeing.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
- Leave the sheet as whole as possible, cutting a slot the diameter of the pipe from the closest edge to allow the sheet to be fed over the pipe. Pro: one less full length joint. Con: large patch needed to entire length of the slot

- Break the sheet at the pipe and cut a semicircle the radius of the pipe at the proper location so the sheets have a vertical seem in line with the pipe. Pro: probably easier to finish and have look good. Con: large vertical seam without the tapered edges.

Any input?
None of the above--

Cut the hole in the sheet for the pipe---then cut out a V shaped wedge starting at the hole---this will give you the easiest to install sheet--and easy to block and tape.

I wish I had a picture for you---Mike---

1 - 3 of 3 Posts