DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a new exterior door in my house, and my house has aluminum siding. Does anyone have a good process to do this or any tips. Does the siding have to be removed? Can you cut a hole through the siding and not remove it? Any advice dealing with the aluminum siding would be great.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
If you try and remove the siding, which would be the best way to do it, some of it is going to get damaged.
Most often it's at least the top piece that has to come off first.
If you just try to just cut out a hole in the siding it will be impossible to flash and properly waterproof.
If I had to do this one I'd first try and find a source for some matching siding, and remove the siding.
You'll need to go to a real siding supply company to find it not a box store.
In my area Lancing Building Products, and Eastern Aluminum Supply can get it.
Someone may suggest just residing the wall with new what's called Remodeling siding, (it's a smooth finish) but it would need 5/8 trim, and your trim is likely only 1/2.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
That's the right answer.
To install a door or a window properly, you need to clear everything to the framing and work your way back to completion.
If you do it any other way, you open yourself to construction disaster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, from the first couple responses, looks like ill be trying to remove the aluminum siding without damaging it as much as possible and putting it back on.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Horizontal double 4" on a house.
I was afraid you were going to say that.

Cut your rough opening to the manufacturer specs.

Then you will need to just cut the aluminum siding past the rough opening. Place the door in the rough opening making sure it is level/plumb and trace the brick molding onto the siding and remove the door. Then measure off that line 1/8" and drawl that cut line. Using a metal cut blade for a circular saw cut the outer line without using much force. Use a board to lay against the siding for keeping the cut straight and to prevent the siding from moving.

Now install the J-channel. Using two sided tape to the back of the J-channel, it will also be screwed and caulked to the brick molding.

If any of the pieces of siding is loose just put a screw in it hiding it with the J-channel and caulk it.

Now install the door and caulk where needed.

In case your wondering about windows.

Tape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was afraid you were going to say that.

Cut your rough opening to the manufacturer specs.

Then you will need to just cut the aluminum siding past the rough opening. Place the door in the rough opening making sure it is level/plumb and trace the brick molding onto the siding and remove the door. Then measure off that line 1/8" and drawl that cut line. Using a metal cut blade for a circular saw cut the outer line without using much force. Use a board to lay against the siding for keeping the cut straight and to prevent the siding from moving.

Now install the J-channel. Using two sided tape to the back of the J-channel, it will also be screwed and caulked to the brick molding.

If any of the pieces of siding is loose just put a screw in it hiding it with the J-channel and caulk it.

Now install the door and caulk where needed.

In case your wondering about windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bl2GFXlAvY

Tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIasko9-AmQ
Thanks ron45!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts