DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
me
989 Posts
It was a Cooper 15A GFI... I see that particular model all the time. They seem pretty popular. I replaced the ones at my house with them because the ones used in the kitchen before we bought it were absolutly the cheapest things on the planet! I saw them once in HD for like $8.99 each.
The reason I asked is we have been discussing the cheap ones on one of the professional electrician forums. The Chinese made $4 units. Some carry fake UL labels on them and many don't work right out of the box. I received a notice from UL the other day concerning the recall of GFCI's, but they didn't specify a brand name for some reason. The concern of UL was a failure to trip. Cooper is a well known brand.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The reason I asked is we have been discussing the cheap ones on one of the professional electrician forums. The Chinese made $4 units. Some carry fake UL labels on them and many don't work right out of the box. I received a notice from UL the other day concerning the recall of GFCI's, but they didn't specify a brand name for some reason. The concern of UL was a failure to trip. Cooper is a well known brand.
Ya, I have read about the ones with the fake UL stickers. Scary stuff, specially for DIY'ers who don't usually go to supply houses for stuff and rely on either homers or blowes or small mom and pop hardware stores to get what they need. Nothing against HD or Lowes or any hardware store, but sometimes the advice is a "bit off the mark" and some of the items aren't of the best quality.

·
me
989 Posts
We have a big box called Menards around my area. A while back they were selling a load center which wasn't UL listed at all. People were installing them and then failing inspection. Back then only the cities had inspections so it's hard telling how many are still in use on farms and rural houses. They were a funny looking thing with a composite enclosure. Menards recommended using Homeline or Bryant breakers with them. I have only run across one in use.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts