DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear experts,

Several years ago, I invited contractors to clean my oil furnace chimney. They said it was almost clean. I read that inspection should be done regularly. Could you please tell if I can do it myself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
of course you can but don't expect same results as experienced techs using specialized equipment + correct method(s) for your chimney,,, probably more important the burner's adjusted properly :yes:

·
Administrator
41,909 Posts
Is this a chimney for a wood, oil or gas appliance.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
& all along i thought spelling 'plack' was challenging :whistling2: ' furnace ' may be a keyword

' Dear experts,

Several years ago, I invited contractors to clean my oil furnace chimney. They said it was almost clean. '

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,980 Posts
Ayuh,.... The easiest way to do a general inspection of a chimney is to open it at the bottom, either by a clean-out door, or pull a pipe,...
Grab a mirror, 'n stick it, in yer hand, into the openin', 'n Look Up,.....

Ya should either see a nice clean hole all the way to the sky, or it'll have build-up, which can usually be seen,....

Bein' just an oil burner, I doubt you've got chimney problems, unless the burner is runnin' Super Rich,...

·
Administrator
41,909 Posts
& all along i thought spelling 'plack' was challenging :whistling2: ' furnace ' may be a keyword

' Dear experts,

Several years ago, I invited contractors to clean my oil furnace chimney. They said it was almost clean. '
ROFL, I read oil furnace. But it just didn't sink in.

·
Administrator
41,909 Posts
Chimney should be checked every year when the oil furnace is cleaned.

Reactions: dpreznik
1 - 9 of 9 Posts