DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I think is a basic question about inline switches.

We have a cord to a table lamp with a label that says 18AWG SPT-2 and the only choices we have for switches locally are marked 18AGW SPT-1 or another is marked 16AWG SPT-2. Would either of these switches work for our cord?

Thanks

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still unsure

Thanks, but I'm not sure what that boils down to. I know the 18 awg is the size of the wire, but I don't know what the spt-1 and spt-2 mean. Are either of these switches "rated for the size of my cord"?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have what I think is a basic question about inline switches.

We have a cord to a table lamp with a label that says 18AWG SPT-2 and the only choices we have for switches locally are marked 18AGW SPT-1 or another is marked 16AWG SPT-2. Would either of these switches work for our cord?

Thanks

Thanks
SPT-1 is actually lower amp rating than SPT-2. Using the 16AWG would definitely be safe in this particular situation.

While you should verify this, SPT-2 is thicker insulation and rated to 10 amps, the SPT-1 for only 7 amps. 7 amps seems like alot of amps for a Table lamp to pull, so the 18 SPT1 is more than likely fine, I just don't want to make any kind of assumptions like that. If there is a significant price difference between the 16g and 18g that's what you want to find out, but in any case the 16awg will be safe regardless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Okay. Thanks roidrage. That is exactly what I needed. I'll use the 16awg spt2. It's not a matter a price but just that neither switch matched my label exactly.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts