DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have malfunctioning indoor timer switch that is used to control outdoor porch light. Can this switch hit an overload condition, sort of like blowing a fuse inside the unit? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
malfunctioning (indoor) timer switch for porch light.

[It doesn't work if the bulb is burned out.]
Not in all cases. It depends if the timer also uses a NEUTRAL for its operation. Or is connected in series between the BLACK and RED wires. (power and light). In the former case, the timer will work regardless if there is a working light bulb in the fixture. In the latter case, however, it will only work as stated!:yes::no: Confusing, isn't it! (Can't bring up the "Drinking" Icon. Anyway. Don't Drink and Drive!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,521 Posts
Is this a new timer you installed? If so, it could be connected wrong. If it worked before, replace it, after you make sure you have tried a new bulb.
 

·
DIY'r
Joined
·
520 Posts
It depends if the timer also uses a NEUTRAL for its operation. Or is connected in series between the BLACK and RED wires. (power and light).
Or your timer may have a battery dead battery. If it's an Intermatic with a batt., it will be under the on/off button cover (bottom half of the switch).

Wingingit said:
Can this switch hit an overload condition, sort of like blowing a fuse inside the unit?
To answer your original question, a fuse is unlikely, but an overload can certainly ruin the timer. It's unlikely, though, if the timer was working fine until now.

But it's more likely that either your bulb (per Yoyizit) or battery is dead.

You didn't happen to change from incandescent to CFL bulb(s) when it died?? :whistling2:

PS - I was assuming that this was an existing install...
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top