DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the old carpet from my stairs with engineered hardwood flooring. The stairs are 3ft wide. Since the stairs were very, very squeaky, after removing the carpet I removed the old treads and risers and added 2 extra stringers (unfortunately I could only fit 2x10 stringers). So now I have 4 stringers with 1ft spacing between them.
I would love to avoid squeaking in the future, so I was thinking that these 4 stringers would allow me to go with risers that wouldn't touch either of the treads (above or below the riser) - only serve as a backing for the engineered flooring.
Do you see any problems in the risers not supporting the tread?
Thanks a lot,
Nick

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm replacing the old carpet from my stairs with engineered hardwood flooring. The stairs are 3ft wide. Since the stairs were very, very squeaky, after removing the carpet I removed the old treads and risers and added 2 extra stringers (unfortunately I could only fit 2x10 stringers). So now I have 4 stringers with 1ft spacing between them.
I would love to avoid squeaking in the future, so I was thinking that these 4 stringers would allow me to go with risers that wouldn't touch either of the treads (above or below the riser) - only serve as a backing for the engineered flooring.
Do you see any problems in the risers not supporting the tread?
Thanks a lot,
Nick
Nails are what cause the squeaking not whether the riser touches the tread i usually make my risers 1/16 shorter and add construction adhesive to the top and bottom. just make sure you glue every thing and use ring shank nails or screws.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts