DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
More info please.

What are you doing with the shed - is it just storage for the mower and lawn stuff, a workshop, or other? Do you need just enough light to find the shovel or rake - or light to work by? Size of shed? Ceiling height in shed? Do you want/need power outlets as well as lighting?

Do you have power to the shed now? If yes, a single 120v circuit, a subpanel, etc.? If no, what do you plan for getting power to the shed?

If no power to the shed, and need just enough light to find stuff - then one of the solar powered shed lights might be the way to go - reasonably priced, quick and easy to install.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a 50A subpanel. it will have one circuit for the lights, one for outlets, and one for a rollup garage door.

the shed is 11x9 and i would like it to be well lit.

thanks

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Depending on your definition of well-lit, one or two 48" two bulb fluorescent shop light fixtures would do the job. For example one positioned over a work or workbench area, another for general lighting. A roll-up garage door limits positioning of lighting.

I have several such lights in my 24x30 workshop. The lighting circuit consists of switched outlets in the ceiling. A 1x4 is placed acrosss the ceiling joists to create a raceway for the wiring. The fluorescent shop lights plug into the switched outlets. Also plugged in are a couple work lights on retracting reels - very handy when needing concentrated light on the job at hand. Plus I have one light on a motion sensor - handy when exiting or just entering to grab a tool or gizmo and leaving out again.

Consider exterior lighting as well. I have a barn style light with LED bulb over the garage door on a dusk to dawn sensor and a flood light when lots of light is needed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If it was my shed I would put up 2 or 3 2bulb 48" T8 fixtures. Don't bother going to HD to get their shop lights at $15-20, go to a good electrical supply house and pay the $40-50 for the good units if you plan on spending time in the shed with the lights burning away.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
And the other thing if going to mount lower than 7 feet or less I know some sheds are pretty low so if you do use the flourscent lumiaires then I will suggest to buy a bulb sleeve to protect ya from shattering glass.

Otherwise there is a shatter sheild bulb { they are not cheap but it worth it } couple big box store may have them in stock otherwise electrical supply centre will have it on hand.

Merci,
Marc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts