DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been happening for awhile now. The power in my son's room randomly goes out along with my master bathroom and closet which are next to my son's room. They do not share a breaker. There is no problem with the breakers, tested and replaced. When it goes out it can stay out for days, weeks, months, then randomly comes back on. It may happen during weather changes, or it could be my imagination just trying to make a connection with the the two events.

Had an electrician check all his outlets and switches, in his room (at the time it was just his room going out) and the main box all fine. The electrician is my brother in law and wasn't getting paid so don't think the commitment was there. Any ideas on what to check or what this is?

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
Backstabbed outlets?
If so change them so there under the screws.

Reactions: Ehallman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think more likely to be in the light switch? It comes back on by itself, so maybe when the switch is turned on and off and it moves the connection??

·
4,080 Posts
It could be, if the person installed two blacks wires under one screw on the switch and one of them has loosened up. Meaning power in to the switch on one black wire and power going out somewhere else, on the other black wire.

If one wired like this is found, a pigtail connection needs to be used for the switch wiring for the power in/out connections. JMO

·
Super Moderator
22,454 Posts
Loose connection could be at any point on the circuit including the panel. The first thing to do is determine everything on the circuit while it is working.
If you can trace the wiring route of the circuit the problem is in the first dead or last working device or junction box. Yes the problem could be in a device that is still working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts