DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I began this post, I did a search on garage storage and I found LOTS of threads, but I'm not sure any of them cover my idea.

I would like to add extra storage in the attic above my garage but I'm pretty sure that, due to the small size of the ceiling joists, and the size of the roof trusses, it would not hold much weight. My idea is to build "pier and beam" support system (4"x4"x10' support posts) that would rest on the floor of my garage, extend up through the drywall ceiling, and into the attic above. Once I had the 4x4x10 pier built, I would connect 2"x10"x16' beams in the attic and lay down plywood as the flooring.

The pier and beam system would not be connected to the garage, nor to the attic trusses. Think of it as a giant table inside the garage, but the tabletop is in the attic above my garage ceiling.

I realize I would have to place some time of cross-supports on the 4x4 posts inside the garage so they are stable and will not "rock".

Does this sound crazy?

·
retired framer
47,197 Posts
If you can get 16 ft 2x10s in there you could just sister them to the sides of what you have and add support under the ends below the ceiling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, if I understand what you're getting at, place my cross beams inside the garage to support the garage ceiling, then lay down the flooring directly over the ceiling joists in the attic?

:smile:

·
retired framer
47,197 Posts
So, if I understand what you're getting at, place my cross beams inside the garage to support the garage ceiling, then lay down the flooring directly over the ceiling joists in the attic?

:smile:
If that is full width of the garage, can you reach the walls.
Your trusses might be 24" in center, so you may want to go to 16"on center.
Or 3/4 T&G sheeting. You are close to over span but for storage who cares.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea! That would prevent me from having to do so much prep work in the attic! I'll have to take some new measurements, but I think your plan would work!

Your advice is much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts