DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - We are adding a second story to our house but want to increase our ceiling height from 8 to 9 ft. Our framer is saying we cant do this now... can someone help with options I can talk to him about to get this done! Its something we really wanted done when we started this process

·
JOATMON
15,307 Posts
Welcome to DIY Chatroom.

Biggest roadblock..........$$$$$$$

If you have the $$$$.....it can be done

Knowing your location will help.

There are a lot of factors involved.....existing structure, foundation, soil, building codes....do you live in an earthquake zone or tornado/huricane zone?

It's not just a simple mater of adding a foot to to the top of your existing walls and then building up.

And it's not really up t the framer as to if this is possible or not. You will need permits and a lot of engineering. If you don't have that already, then this is not the place to be.

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
Anything can be done if you have enough money.
Got a real engineer designing and signing off on this idea?
You say your adding up, has it already started?
Was your idea in writing before begining?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
The framer probably has a schedule. You want to go back to point 0 and are you going to pay for all the wasted time and material? What happens to the framer's schedule? Does he have another job waiting? What happens to all the materials already ordered?
If you are going to accept the cost, how about using engineered joists? Example, if the 2nd floor joists were to be 2x10, and if you are willing to change all that into lvl, how much head room can you gain?
If you use a sound deadening material on the floor, can you have at least the liv room with exposed joists?

·
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
757 Posts
I could see it working, but only with adding something like 9 foot tall engineered shear panels and a bunch of hurricane straps (i.e., taking out a 4 foot section of wall every so many feet, putting in the full height 9 foot panels, and then filling in the empty space above the 8 foot line between shear panels with framing), or making your own onsite. Off the top of my head that's the only way to tackle the shear and buckling problems. That would have to all get worked out by an engineer, though. None of that is prescriptive framing.

Expensive, maybe. Do-able, yes. I could see getting it done without engineered shear panels, also, but again that's something that has to get calculated. There's no book or resource to point your framer to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts