DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, I am a relatively novice painter and have some concerns with the way the paint looks on my wall. I have attached a picture that could hopefully show what it is I am doing wrong. I have 2 coats of SW Cashmere Low Luster paint with a Purdy 3/8" nap roller. We get a lot of natural light in this room. Any help us appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Could be one, two, or dozens of things. Poor prep, poor rolling technique, uneven surface, paint drying too fast, and on and on. First, ditch the 3/8" roller sleeve. It just doesn't hold enough paint and tempts you to keep rolling when the sleeve is devoid of paint. 1/2" is better and you won't be reloading so often. You gotta move fast with today's fast drying paints or you will get lap marks. Load your roller up with lots of paint. It should almost be dripping with paint as you pull it from the tray. Let the roller do the work. Don't push or press down with a lot of force. Roll gently up and down in 2 foot sections starting at the top and rolling to the bottom. Move quickly to the next 2 foot section before the previous section begins to set up. Keep moving down the length of the wall until you get to the corner. Then you can take a breather before starting another wall.

Other possibilities could be bad drywall joints or bad patching which can leave shadows on the wall. Hard to offer up any other possibilities without knowing any other info about the room's walls. Drywall or plaster? New or previously painted? Sanded and wiped down before starting? Any cleaners used to wash before painting? They can leave residue.

Cashmere is quality paint and after 2 coats usually covers well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be one, two, or dozens of things. Poor prep, poor rolling technique, uneven surface, paint drying too fast, and on and on. First, ditch the 3/8" roller sleeve. It just doesn't hold enough paint and tempts you to keep rolling when the sleeve is devoid of paint. 1/2" is better and you won't be reloading so often. You gotta move fast with today's fast drying paints or you will get lap marks. Load your roller up with lots of paint. It should almost be dripping with paint as you pull it from the tray. Let the roller do the work. Don't push or press down with a lot of force. Roll gently up and down in 2 foot sections starting at the top and rolling to the bottom. Move quickly to the next 2 foot section before the previous section begins to set up. Keep moving down the length of the wall until you get to the corner. Then you can take a breather before starting another wall.

Other possibilities could be bad drywall joints or bad patching which can leave shadows on the wall. Hard to offer up any other possibilities without knowing any other info about the room's walls. Drywall or plaster? New or previously painted? Sanded and wiped down before starting? Any cleaners used to wash before painting? They can leave residue.

Cashmere is quality paint and after 2 coats usually covers well.
Thank you for your input. I'll ditch the 3/8 roller. I'm not sure about drywall joists since the original paint wall flat. It is a 4 yr old home and is drywall. I did not work in 2x2 sections but will now. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.